Friday, October 25, 2013

27 Main progress

The last 2 weeks have been good to me.  I wasn't able to run last week because I was too busy.  I went home for the weekend and got a lot done on my building.  I installed a new toilet in Shirley's apartment.  Installed a new vanity, sink, and medicine cabinet in Fermin's.  I climbed on the fire escape and cleaned all the gutters.  Then I did a lot of cleaning of the 3rd floor.  Here's some pictures .....





Still a lot of cleaning to go.  Everything is a trip down 2 flights of stairs, then dumping it in my truck, then driving 1/2 way around the block to dump in my dumpster, or put in my basement. 

This week I made a deal with Carlos.  He was $517 behind on his rent, water, etc.  So I gave him work to do on our building.  What he "earns", instead of paying him, we'll remove from what he owes.  So far he as cleaned the stairs, painted the stairway and hallway walls and ceilings, painted the walls in the 3rd floor (the pictures are from before he painted).  Next he'll finish cleaning all the beds, couches, microwaves, tv, etc from the 3rd floor.  I wanted to build the laundry room in the basement, but I wasn't prepared for that. I still have some planning to do

I did some research on putting in solar hot water heat.  I did all the measuring and got quotes.  $35k to have it done. I think I can build it myself for around $12k.  Now to research what plumbing inspections are required and what the codes are for my town. I also met with some folks to look into future investments in our town.  Everything we looked at just didn't make mathematical sense to me.  Better to invest in solar. 

Also while I was home I cleaned and organized my aunts garage.  That gave us room to begin shuffling.  I need to clear out her attics to pull up a few boards and blow in insulation.  Once the garage space cleared up I was able to remove some things from my mom's apartment and put them into the garage.  Then I sanded all the drywall....ooof...that job sucks.  After I got everything done and the mess all cleaned up I grouted the tiles we had installed in the kitchen while mom and aunt painted the walls.  Everything is mostly done there now.  So now I'll have to arrange some friends to carry in her stove, refrigerator, microwave, etc. and hook them all up for her.

Good progress all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment