Friday, May 31, 2013

One run

I've been struggling lately with not being active enough.  I was doing so well in my physical therapy until I went to Mexico, then I did nothing.  I walked a lot in my sandals and didn't stretch and came home fearing that I was right on back to square one.   It took a few days but I was amazed that my foam rollering and flexibility came back much quicker.  Much fewer knots when I rolled. 

I just got back on track again and then my trip to Ohio.  Taking my motorcycle was a bit of a mistake.  I think I'm sitting too compact on it.  My hip flexors are bent even more than sitting in a car.  So they get pretty tight after 6hrs. 

I decided to take a little jog Wednesday in hopes of warming up a little to stretch better.  I jogged 3/4 of a lap at 8min pace, then sped up each lap to see if I could run a good 6min mile.  The doctor told me she'd rather me run all out, than run long.  So off I went.  I ran perfectly paced laps.  1:40, 1:30, 1:20, 1:10 for a 5:40 mile.  It was pretty much as hard as I could go but didn't feel too bad because I worked my way into it. 

During the run I did feel some patellar pain, but after I felt none.  Last time I ran I felt none until the next day.  Here I am a couple of days later and with no pain at all.  A little hamstring and vmo soreness....but no pain.  So that's progress :-)

In other news, I went home last weekend and was able to update the bathroom in the psychologists office of my building.  It had a utility sink, lots of brown stained ceiling tiles, a broken light, dark green walls going into horrible flowery red and white wallpaper.  I put in a proper counter/sink, new ceiling tiles, new light, light green paint, and white antique looking wallpaper.

I also cleaned the basement.  I found evidence that my building had been a hardware store, a jewelry store, a real estate office, a sign shop, and now a law office/psychologist office.  I also found that apparently every person who had ever moved out left a tv, that every door and window that had ever been replaced was stored in basement, and that dead pigeons preserve surprisingly well when entombed in coal dust.

I have now had 3 people look at the masonry problems on the third floor and nobody would like to tackle it.  People only do construction now (foundations, fireplaces, etc) mason's that do restoration are extremely hard to find.   I've researched the procedure and am prepared to do it myself it the next person declines.  I'll need to purchase some equipment, but that would still be cheaper than paying someone and I'd learn a good deal.  The problem then becomes time off work.....

Lack of vacation time is a new development.  I've been carrying on an online relationship with a friend of a friend from Ukraine.  She was supposed to come here for a month to visit but her visa was declined.  I suppose it's not a financially, logistically, or emotionally savvy investment, but emotional attachment isn't always rational.  There's something about Inna that I enjoy.  Maybe I'm lonely, or disappointed in the dates I've had here, or enjoy "exotic" women, or whatever the case...All of my readers are aware enough of the psychological and emotional flaws that I bide.  Anyways, I've chosen to go there and visit her.  

I'll fly from DC to New York, to Moscow to Simferopol.   We've rented an apartment in Sudak, which is a vacation town along the Black Sea in the Crimean Peninsula.  I'll spend one week there with her and then a week wandering.  I'm guessing I'll try to see Ukraine, Moldova, Romania, Bulgaria and end up in Istanbul, Turkey.  We'll see.  I haven't really planned the second week.  So I'll have to give that some thought.  I'll probably just keep my bicycle pointed so that the Black Sea stays on my left and keep on riding and exploring anything that looks cool.

My mother was supposed to have her bimonthly MRI on her brain tumor done Wednesday.  Unfortunately while I was home it was appallingly apparent that she was experiencing the same list of symptoms that appeared the last time her tumor had required surgery.  I've spent a LOT of time working alongside my mother in the last 5 years.  Every home project I've accomplished she's been right there with me handing me tools, discussing options, and giving her input.  Usually she's a step ahead of me, preparing the next tool, measuring for the next task, etc.  This time she was forgetful.  She would at times seemed at a loss for what we were doing.  She was showing sure signs of confusion and mental fatigue. 

We had a party Saturday night and many concerned friends, who would normally remain quiet about such matters, expressed their concern for her.  It's horrible to watch your mother frantic in the store, thinking she'd lost her keys, and then have to remind her that you drove....that you had the keys.  Things like that happened apace this weekend.  It scares us both.  I got the courage to talk it over with her and we talked to the doctor and decided to pay for the better MRI.  That wasn't available until today, so she's there now undergoing that.   I wish I could be there.

Tom's is in New Mexico enduring the decline of his sister.  My mother is in Ohio facing her own scary condition and instead of spending my vacation time to visit.... I'm selfishly planning trips across the world. 

1 comment:

  1. In a matter of three days, we got suzi in, hospice in, her electric, phone, and gas turned off, got about 90% of her apartment cleaned out, and had the pleasure of talking to many relatives I don't really care much about. We have a doctor, nurse, minister, social worker, and aid who have all been here to say howdy to suzi. I just keep forgetting to eat! anyway, these are God's real children as far as I am concerned. What you will go thru will be very hard and you will be able to make the time for it when it is necessary. But life just can't be all work and need to take a bit of care of your own personal needs. Love dad